Kellylee Evans has won Canada’s 2011 Juno Award for Vocal Jazz Album of the Year. The album, entitled Nina (Plus Loin Music), is a tribute to jazz great Nina Simone. Other nominees for the 2011 award included Emilie-Claire Barlow, Nikki Yanofsky, Laila Biali and the late Jeff Healey. This was the Ottawa-based singer-songwriter’s second Juno Award nomination and first win.
“It was an honour to be nominated alongside such talented artists,” said Evans. “And I am extremely grateful to have won the award with an album that pays tribute to Nina Simone.”
Evans recorded Nina in France in November, 2009. French label Plus Loin Music had invited Evans to spend two days in their studio. Shortly after its release, Nina reached the top of the iTunes Jazz charts. The album received critical acclaim and soon Evans was earning accolades for her charismatic performances as she toured the album. In February 2011, Evans was nominated for 2011 Juno Vocal Jazz Album of the Year. She is at work planning her follow-up release slated for 2012.
Evans, who in 2010 also released an alt-soul album of originals titled The Good Girl, was a 2007Juno and Gemini nominee and was awarded second place in the Thelonious Monk Jazz Vocals Competition in 2004 by judges Quincy Jones and Dee Dee Bridgewater. Evans has toured North America and France opening for such luminaries as Tony Bennett, George Benson, Maceo Parker, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Chris Botti and Derek Trucks.
Sir Paul McCartney, Coldplay and the Ting Tings were among those honored by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) at its London awards ceremony. The ASCAP Awards, held at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London yesterday, recognized the most performed works in 2008 by writer and publisher members of U.K. collecting society PRS for Music, who are licensed by ASCAP for the U.S. Sir Paul McCartney was named songwriter of the year and was recognized with song awards for “All You Need Is Love,” “Come Together” and “Hello Goodbye,” while song of the year went to Coldplay for “Viva La Vida.” Universal Music Publishing was named publisher of the year for having five of the Continue reading
- Eerste Pinksterdag in Brabant: rommelmarkt, muziek en veldslagen - Omroep Brabant
- 'Winnend Deens lied lijkt erg veel op nummer K-Otic' - Volkskrant
- Anouk gaat als eerste haar kinderen zoenen - Parool.nl
- Zanger Daft Punk-hit overleden - NU.nl
- Madese tent bol van muziek - BN DeStem - BN DeStem
- . Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl - NU.nl
- De Forest vindt songfestivalwinst 'overweldigend' - NU.nl
- Denemarken wint Eurovisie Songfestival 2013 - NU.nl
- Anouk zingt nummer vlekkeloos op Songfestival - NU.nl
- Justin Bieber verbreekt record Candle In The Wind - NU.nl
- Coevorder Accordeonorkest verzorgt prima concert - coevordenhuisaanhuis.nl
- Concert op gerestaureerde orgel - Dichtbij.nl
- Succesvol concert regionale Pluskoor Gelderse Vallei - dé Weekkrant
- Concert voor vroege vogels - Ede Stad
- Zangeres Pearl Jozefzoon te gast op Concert in Harmony - Stellingwerf
- Concert: Moss + Stuart Mavis, Leeuwarden, Asteriks - FOK!
- Afwisselend concert in Pnielkerk in Veenendaal - dé Weekkrant
- Depeche Mode annuleert concert vanwege wegblokkade - NU.nl
- Frank Ocean voor concert naar Amsterdam - NU.nl
- Beyoncé haalt concert België eind van de maand in - NU.nl