The Boyzone singer ‘ who has recently been working as a judge on the Australian version of ‘The X Factor’ ‘ will return Down Under next month to shoot scenes for the top secret project.
Asked when he plans to return to Oz, 34-year-old Ronan told 2Day FM’s ‘Kyle and Jackie O Show’: “I’m coming down on April 7, because I’m shooting my first movie in Australia. I just gave you a world exclusive actually.
“I can’t tell you the title but I’m going to be on set on April 10 in Sydney.
“It’s an Australian movie … I’m very excited.”
Ronan ‘ who has three children, Jack, Marie and Ali, with his wife Yvonne ‘ previously revealed he auditioned for a role in upcoming fantasy prequel ‘The Hobbit’ and was keen to launch a film career.
He said: “I don’t think I’ll get the role of the hobbit. But I would like to take on roles which nobody would expect. I don’t want to be reduced to love stories. I’d like to try dark, edgy roles. I need a challenge.”
“The Hobbit” Production Stays In New Zealand. “The Hobbit” stays in New Zealand. Prime Minister John Key has announced that the negotiation with Warner Bros executives has been successful. The film producers originally threatened to take the filming of the $500 million film project outside the country after acting unions complained of unfair practices. Earlier this week, thousands of New Zealanders protested outside the streets to convince the producers not to take the Peter Jackson flick outside. Key has first met with the Warner Bros. executives, but the meeting ended with no resolution as to the film’s production location. After two days of talk, the filmmakers have now secured an agreement to have the “Lord of the Rings” prequel shot in the country in exchange for additional tax rebates. According to Deadline Hollywood, Warner Bros was granted up to an extra $7.5 million tax rebate for movie, subject to the success of the films. The NZ government will also offset $10 million of Warner Bros’ marketing costs, and it will host one of the world premieres of the “Hobbit” movies. The government and the film company also agreed to work together in a “long-term strategic partnership” to promote the country as both a film production and tourism destination. NZ will be introducing a legislation to clarify the distinction between independent contractors and employees as it relates to the film industry only. The two-part sequel is set to begin production in February.
Guillermo del Toro’s adaptation of “The Hobbit” will have some familiar faces. “Lord of the Rings” trilogy actors Andy Serkis (Gollum), Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Hugo Weaving (Elrond) will all reprise their roles, the director revealed on BBC Radio’s Simon Mayo program. “The Hobbit,” based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien, is set before the events of the author’s “LOTR” series, and follows Frodo Baggins’ uncle, Bilbo, and his adventures in acquiring the one Ring. Del Toro intends on splitting the book into two films, and revealed on the program that Gandalf’s abrupt departure from Bilbo and the dwarves’ quest against the dragon Smaug – not narrated in the novel – will appear on screen as a means of further linking the film to Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” movies. “There is a whole other chapter, so to speak, which is the comings and going of Gandalf which are dealt with,” del Toro said. “People that know the lore know that Gandalf was delayed with a crisis… with a character that is very shady called the Necromancer that proves to be Sauron.” In the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, Sauron – a rival wizard to Gandalf – was played by Sala Baker. The director didn’t say if he would appear in the upcoming films. The first installment of “The Hobbit” is due in December 2011.