Citing fundamental free speech rights, the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California today filed a lawsuit on behalf of an artist demanding that the City of Los Angeles allow his patriotic murals to remain on display. The City of Los Angeles says that zoning rules allow them to order the removal of Mike McNeilly’s patriotic murals.
A few days after the terrorist attacks September 11, artist Mike McNeilly erected a large mural entitled “9-11″ with the words “God Bless America” beneath the images of a New York City firefighter, an American Flag and the face of the Statue of Liberty. The mural was erected on a privately owned building with the consent of the building’s owner.
On September 21, 2001 the City of Los Angeles issued an order requiring the artist to remove the “9-11″ mural. McNeilly refused.
“There is no justification for such infringements on private, noncommercial speech,” said Dan Tokaji, a staff attorney with the ACLU of Southern California.
“This is especially true when the city not only tolerates but welcomes both commercial and noncommercial artworks of comparable size on other buildings,” he added, citing the many lively paintings on buildings lining Sunset Blvd., paintings of classical musicians next to the 110 freeway downtown, and giant-sized paintings of Shaquille O’Neill and Wilt Chamberlain on a hotel near the Staples Center.
“If there is anything that we should learn from our history,” said Tokaji, “it is that the values that people are talking about these days – freedom and democracy – are most in jeopardy in times of crisis. Now is a time when we should be most vigilant to protect those freedoms that make this country great and that unite us as Americans.”
The article above was released just after the 9-11 attack at the World Trade Center.
September 2011, the City of Los Angeles is still fighting the free speech rights of artist and creating a “chilling effect” on creative expression through aggressive litigation, fines and criminal charges.
The Palm – Los Angeles Downtown is located one block east of the Staples Center and housed in the historic Toy Center on the southeast corner of Flower and 11th Streets. The Palm provides seating for approximately 400 patrons and occupies 13,500 square feet. The Palm is renowned for prime beef, jumbo lobsters and authentic Italian fare and is open seven nights a week for dinner and weekdays for lunch.
The burlesque dancer ‘ who was previously married to goth rocker Marilyn Manson ‘ is incredibly proud of her vintage-inspired Los Angeles home and was relieved to find current boyfriend Louis-Marie de Castelbajac appreciated the colourful way she has decorated her abode.
She said: ‘My worst nightmare was that I’d fall in love with a man who likes white walls and modern furniture.’
The brunette beauty also admitted she has been experimenting with new culinary creations in order to impress her French partner.
She said: I make a terrific coq au vin to impress my boyfriend.’
Explaining her tastes in interior design, Dita admitted she always buys things she knows her grandmother would appreciate.
She added in an interview with Britain’s InStyle magazine: ‘ have a lot of Franz porcelain teapots, teacups and serving dishes and I love antique silver ‘ I collect the flatware pattern Love Diarmed, a sexy
design from the 19th century.
‘The rule of shopping for me is, if your grandmother would like it, I would like it.’
- 'Kanye West heeft wéér een sterk, belangwekkend album gemaakt' - Volkskrant
- 'Muziek van mijn IJslandse lievelingsband doet mij nu denken aan walvisgehuil' - Volkskrant
- Haase schreeuwt het uit op de baan: zet die muziek uit!!! - NRC Handelsblad
- Nieuwe drummer voor Normaal - NU.nl
- . Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl - NU.nl
- Concertreeks emotioneel voor kinderen Hazes - NU.nl
- Zomeravond met muziek in Frans Hals Museum - Verkeersbureaus.info
- Whitesnake transporteert 013 naar gloriedagen hardrock - NU.nl
- 'Love Me Do' van The Beatles 10.000 dollar waard - Volkskrant
- Moby geeft zijn muziek gratis aan filmmakers - RTL Nieuws
- Het IJzerenman concert - Muziek & Theater Paradijs
- Kane geeft concert bij Vredespaleis - Den Haag FM
- Frank Sinatra & Barbra Streisand: concert dat er nooit was - Blog.nl (Blog)
- Gezamenlijk concert 'Hof Cruninghe' - Zeeuwseregio.nl
- Hoornse popmuzikanten samen in uniek concert - Hoorngids
- Dré en Roxeanne Hazes in tranen na concert - ShowbizNewz.nl
- Fanfareorkest Crescendo Voorthuizen geeft Try-out concert ter voorbereiding op ... - dé Weekkrant
- Klassiek concert afsluiting - dé Weekkrant
- Concert op minicamping - dé Weekkrant
- Speciaal Twitterkanaal voor Concert at Sea - Omroep Zeeland