Imperial And Royal Matters
Britain’s newly married royal couple continued to wow Canadians during their nine-day official visit to different provinces. Prince William amazed them with his helicopter-flying skills, while Kate was admired for her fashion sense on Monday.
Crowds cheered when the Duke of Cambridge displayed a gentle landing of the Sea King on the lake as part of their Prince Edward Island visit. His other helicopter tricks include water taxiing and landing and taking off with one engine shut down.
The prince acquired his helicopter flying skills from his training at the Royal Air Force College Cranwell and the Royal Air Force where he is a member of No. 22 Squadron performing co-pilot duties on a Sea King search-and-rescue chopper.
Later the couple joined in a dragon boat race with the prince and his wife riding different vessels. Prince William’s team won the race.
Kate appropriately wore a nautical dress while visiting the Maritime province. She had a cream colored knit dress made by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen, the same designer of her wedding gown. The dress had a necktie with an anchor and navy trim, and navy stripes around the sleeves and waistband.
The duchess also wore diamond and sapphire earnings, and blue pumps.
She later changed into a black and grey Nike windbreaker, slim navy trousers, navy-belted trenchcoat, red scarf and beiege and white deck shoes for the dragon boat rice, while William put on a checked shirt.
Prince William and wife Kate started on Thursday their nine-day Canadian tour by visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
The British royals were greeted by a crowd estimated at about 6,000 people lining the fence of the memorial. They were greeted and escorted by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife, Laureen, and Governor General David Johnston.
The newly wed couple laid a wreath and floral spray at the base of the tomb, which contains the remains of a Canadian soldier killed in World War I. After the rite, William and Kate met with Mabel Girouard, a mother, who represented all mothers who lost their children in military service.
Girouard, from New Brunswick, lost her son, Chief Warrant Officer Robert Michael Girouard, in a 2006 mine explosion in Afghanistan.
Prince William, who addressed the crowd, said he hoped he will improve his ability to speak the French language during his stay in Canada. French is one of the two official languages of Canada.
It is the first official overseas visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge since their royal wedding in April. While in Ottawa, they are staying at the Government House, which is also known as Rideau Hall.
The royal wedding is the gift that keeps on giving. William and Kate’s wedding charity raised $1.7 million thanks to very charitable guests.
The Royal Wedding Charitable Gift Fund was created by the newlyweds and William and Kate asked guests who wanted to give them a gift to instead donate to a charity.
St. James’s Palace released a statement saying, “Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted that these charities are able to benefit so positively from their special day.”
A total of 26 charities will receive funds from the Royal Wedding Charitable Gift Fund including those who focus on the following:
Changing Lives through Arts and Sport,
Children Fulfilling Their Potential, and
Help and Care at Home.
Prince William and Prince Harry gave the funds to each of the charities.
- 'Miley en Justin maken samen muziek' - De Gelderlander - De Gelderlander
- Concert Maroon 5 uitgesteld naar januari - NU.nl
- Taylor Swift grote winnaar bij Billboard Awards - Volkskrant
- Prestigieuze muziekprijs voor Usher - NU.nl
- Stevie Ann blinkt uit in intieme liedjes - NU.nl
- Eerste Pinksterdag in Brabant: rommelmarkt, muziek en veldslagen - Omroep Brabant
- Zanger Daft Punk-hit overleden - NU.nl
- . Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl - NU.nl
- Denemarken wint Eurovisie Songfestival 2013 - NU.nl
- Anouk zingt nummer vlekkeloos op Songfestival - NU.nl
- Na dag repeteren geven jonge muzikanten een mooi concert - De Stentor - De Stentor
- Maroon 5 stelt Amsterdams concert uit - AD.nl
- Leerfabriek Oisterwijk maakt zich op voor exclusief Omroep Brabant-concert ... - Omroep Brabant
- Coevorder Accordeonorkest verzorgt prima concert - coevordenhuisaanhuis.nl
- Concert: Moss + Stuart Mavis, Leeuwarden, Asteriks - FOK!
- Depeche Mode annuleert concert vanwege wegblokkade - NU.nl
- Frank Ocean voor concert naar Amsterdam - NU.nl
- 20e concert in de serie Componistenportretten: - Dichtbij.nl
- Concert voor en met Vroege Vogels - De Stentor - De Stentor
- Beyoncé haalt concert België eind van de maand in - NU.nl