The US alternative rock event brings together three of the biggest acts on the planet to play in Chicago from August 5 to 7 this year. Organiser Perry Farrell, of the band Jane’s Addiction, told Rolling Stone magazine: “I wish I was 20, but unfortunately it’s my festival that’s 20. I just feel so fortunate that I was able to make something so wonderful for the musicians and the audience.
“It’s just astounding where it has evolved to. In 1991, we had seven groups and we were performing on dirt fields.”
Other acts confirmed for the festival include Cee Lo Green, Arctic Monkeys, Deftones, Tinie Tempah, deadmau5 and Muse.
Lollapalooza was one of the first events to offer a diverse bill to fans, with heavy metal, punk, dance and hip-hop acts all playing on
the same stage, and it has often found and championed upcoming bands, giving them one of the first breaks of their career.
Speaking of his eclectic choice of who plays, Perry added: “A lot of this music – we’ll call it festival music – it’s still not popular
“If you look at pop, pop is one thing. Festival music is another, and it still holds true that we’re looking to book acts that are
critically acclaimed and have credibility. It’s just very interesting that it’s become its own working organism.”
The festival has also greatly expanded during its twenty years and now boasts over 100 acts playing over its three days on its main and newly added dance stages.
Deadmau5 turns to fans for latest video. Top DJ and producer Deadmau5 puts out the call for filmmakers and animators to help produce his next video. Wooshii.com is searching for talented creative’s to take part in a unique and exciting contest – to create the new music video for Deadmau5. The EMI-signed house act recently sold out his two initial dates at O2 Academy Brixton – Demand was such that he added a 3rd night! He went to sell out Glasgow, Hull and Liverpool, by far his biggest tour to date. Fans attending the shows were treated to the visual orgy of his new stage show, and of course, the unveiling of his highly anticipated L.E.D ‘mau5ehead’. Like a mutant rodent Frankenstein, it has finally been given life! Deadmau5 has a large and growing fan base, including over 400,000 fans on Facebook alone and now his team have now asked Wooshii’s community of video producers, animators and creative’s to pitch for the right to produce the music video for ‘Some Chords’, Entrants simply sign up at the website Wooshii.com and submit ideas for the video. Pitches must be in by May 24th, at which point they will then be judged by the Deadmau5 fan base. The winning creative’s will be invited to turn their idea into the song’s official video, and will also receive $1200 in prize money.
The contest can be seen here
Radio1 Celebrates 500th Essential Mix at Circus . Liverpool house night Circus will host one of the parties of the year as BBC Radio 1 DJ Pete Tong and a host of superstar guests celebrate the station’s 500th essential mix at the city’s Masque venue. Pete will be joined by house legend Sasha, a rare appearance from techno favourite Richie Hawtin along with Circus residents Yousef, Lewis Boardman, Alex Wolfenden and Scott Lewis. Since its launch in 1993, the Essential Mix has brought us landmark sets from the worlds biggest DJs including the likes of Paul Oakenfold, Deadmau5, Carl Cox, Pendulum and, of course Pete Tong (on photo). 499 different artists have graced the Essential Mix decks so far and the 500th DJ – voted for by an expert music industry panel – will be exclusively announced on the night and play their set in a special live broadcast to the nation.
Circus 500th essential mix party
BBC Radio 1’s 500th Essential mix DJ
Friday 23rd April
Richie Hawtin – live broadcast
Pete Tong – live broadcast
Sasha – live broadcast
500th Essential Mix DJ – live broadcast
Alex Wolfenden – Mambo Set
10pm – 5am
- Franse componist Henri Dutilleux (97) overleden - Volkskrant
- Sandra van Nieuwland gaat op theatertournee - NU.nl
- Brian May noemt The Voice 'ultieme belediging voor muziek' - NU.nl
- MS MR zijn muzikale zielsverwanten - Volkskrant
- Componist Anton aus Tirol op tragische wijze overleden - Volkskrant
- David Bowie-bassist Trevor Bolder (62) overleden - Parool.nl
- Guus Meeuwis staat stil bij eigen geluk - NU.nl
- Bassist Uriah Heep (62) overleden - NU.nl
- Will Smith werkt met Kanye aan nieuwe muziek - AD.nl
- Tour Ruth Jacott is verlengd - NU.nl
- Editors voor concert naar Ziggo Dome - NU.nl
- Concert Jostiband voor Voedselbank Ede - Ede Stad
- Exclusief Omroep Brabant-concert Guus Meeuwis vanavond LIVE op internet, tv ... - Omroep Brabant
- Concert Jostiband met André Rieu op 6 juli - Omroep West
- Jamie Cullum verrast treinreizigers met concert - NOS
- Concert Spanjaardsgat geannuleerd door weer - BN DeStem
- Placebo voor concert naar Ziggo Dome - NU.nl
- Rockband Paramore naar HMH voor concert - NU.nl
- Soundgarden voor concert naar Amsterdam - NU.nl
- Concert Maroon 5 uitgesteld naar januari - NU.nl