CBS has confirmed that “60 Minutes” journalist Scott Pelley will take over as anchor of the CBS Evening News in June. CBS News Chairman and “60 Minutes” Executive Producer Jeff Fager and David Rhodes, the President of CBS News made the announcement Tuesday just a week after Katie Couric announced that she intends to exit the anchor desk at the conclusion of her contract, reports The Hollywood Reporter.
“Scott has it all. He has the experience, the credibility and he is among the very best reporters ever to work at CBS News,” Fager said in a statement. “In more than two decades at CBS News, he has distinguished himself at every level, right up to his current role at ’60 Minutes,’ where his work has been incomparable. We like to think of CBS News as the ‘reporter’s network’ and I can’t think of anybody in this business better suited for the anchor chair than Scott.”
Rhodes added that Scott is the “ideal journalist to lead this broadcast.”
“We’re very proud to have him guiding this news organization’s reporting each and every evening. He has a body of work few in the business can claim and will help us grow CBS News now and in the future.”
Pelley joined CBS News in 1989 and covered the 1990-91 Gulf War for the network. But he distinguished himself as chief White House correspondent during the investigation and impeachment trial of Bill Clinton.
The 53-year-old journalist will be taking over a broadcast that has been mired in third-place for decades. The three 6:30 p.m. broadcasts on CBS, ABC and NBC attract about 20 million viewers a night.
Pelley will be going up against NBC’s “Nightly News with Brian Williams,” which remains firmly in first place in the evening news race, and ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer.”
But Pelley said he remains optimist and ready.
“I am delighted to join the terrific team at the ‘”CBS Evening News.” It’s a privilege to work alongside the most gifted and talented journalists in the industry.”
Pelley, who is set to take the anchor seat on June 6, will continue to report for “60 Minutes.”
Jennifer Aniston Voted World’s Most Eligible Single Woman; Betty White At 4th. Jennifer Aniston is the world’s most eligible single woman, according to a 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll. The survey result, released Monday, shows that the former “Friends” star beat out Halle Berry and even Betty White for the title. The 41-year-old actress, who famously split with Brad Pitt, Vince Vaughn, and John Mayer among others, pulled in 29 percent of the overall vote. She amassed 27 percent of the men’s votes and 32 percent of the women’s. She is followed by Oscar winner Halle Berry. The mother of one, who recently split with baby daddy Gabriel Aubry, took in 21 percent of the total votes. Tiger Woods’ ex-wife Elin Nordegren gets 15 percent at third place. 88-year-old Betty White is at fourth place. The widow of TV host Allen Ludden garnered 11 percent of the total votes. Following her are Lady Gaga and Justice Elena Kegan, who gathered 5 percent and 4 percent votes respectively. The poll was conducted by telephone at the CBS News interviewing facility among a random sample of 906 adults nationwide from September 6 to 8.
- Het Goede Doel presenteert nieuw album - NU.nl
- De muziek uit... Super Mario 64 - FOK!
- Ouderen staan in de rij om moderne muziek te zingen - RTV Noord
- Caro Emerald viert succes elke dag - Parool.nl
- Combinatie van poëzie en muziek krijgt nieuwe kans in Breda - BN DeStem
- Eindexamen muziek met Krystl - 3FM- Radio
- EU beschermt eigen muziek- en filmindustrie - Volkskrant
- Muziek en Engels op achtste examendag - NU.nl
- Componist Henri Dutilleux (97) overleden - NU.nl
- Brian May noemt The Voice 'ultieme belediging voor muziek' - NU.nl
- Concert Editors in de Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam - Vovert.nl
- Concert in de Pauluskerk - Blog.nl (Blog)
- René Schuurmans klaar voor Toppers in Concert en zijn tienjarig jubileum - Omroep Brabant
- Concert aande Schie - dé Weekkrant
- 100%NL live vanaf 'RTL Viert de Zomer Concert' - Radio.NL
- Concert in Schutsmantel - dé Weekkrant
- Editors voor concert naar Ziggo Dome - NU.nl
- Placebo voor concert naar Ziggo Dome - NU.nl
- Rockband Paramore naar HMH voor concert - NU.nl
- Soundgarden voor concert naar Amsterdam - NU.nl