R.E.M. reveal new album name. Best-selling rock band R.E.M. have revealed that the title of their 15th studio album will be Collapse Into Now. The album will be released in Spring 2011 by Warner Bros. Records. BBC Radio 6 broke the news on its Twitter feed after R.E.M.’s manager Bertis Downs revealed the title at the In the City conference. R.E.M., which is singer Michael Stipe, guitarist Peter Buck, and bassist Mike Mills, re-teamed with Grammy Award-winning producer Jacknife Lee, who produced the band’s acclaimed previous album Accelerate, to make Collapse Into Now. Lee is also noted for his work on albums by U2, Snow Patrol, The Hives, and indie stalwarts Kasabian, Editors, Aqualung, and Bloc Party. R.E.M. and Lee recorded the album in New Orleans at the Music Shed and in Berlin at the famed Hansa Studios, where several legendary albums, including David Bowie’s Heroes, U2′s Achtung Baby, and Iggy Pop’s Lust for Life, were made. Additional recording and mixing were done at the venerable Blackbird Studio in Nashville. Collapse Into Now is the follow-up to 2008′s hard-charging Accelerate, which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart, topped the Alternative, Rock, Digital, and Internet (physical goods) charts in the U.S., and debuted at No. 1 in Canada, the U.K., Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic. It spawned three hit singles ‘Supernatural Superserious,’ ‘Hollow Man,’ and ‘Man-Sized Wreath.’ The band also released a two-CD live set, entitled R.E.M. Live At The Olympia, last October. On October 26th, 2010, New West Records will release R.E.M. Live From Austin, TX – a DVD that contains the full live performance of the band’s concert for PBS’ Austin City Limits television series, plus three songs that didn’t air on the original broadcast. The 17 songs, including several from Accelerate and such classic hits as ‘Losing My Religion’ and ‘Man On The Moon,’ have been re-mixed and re-mastered in LPCM stereo and DTS-HD 5.1 Surround Sound.
Ready To Start, the second single from Arcade Fire’s latest album The Suburbs, will be released digitally on 11th October 2010 via Sonovox. From Arcade Fire’s third studio album, the track was described by the NME as having the “urgent fractious energy of ‘Tunnels’… stately, melancholic but resolute, with an urgent rhythm and riff.” Ready to Start is a follow up to Arcade Fire’s first single We Used To Wait. The music video for which, The Wilderness Downtown, has already received over 25 million views worldwide. An interactive online only video, The Wilderness Downtown filled social networking sites twitter and facebook, again causing Arcade Fire to top Hype Machine. Billboard found Chris Milk’s interactive video, ‘an eye-popping interactive film/experience. further pushing the boundaries of the music video concept” while the Guardian called it ‘an extremely impressive use of technology’. The Suburbs went to Number 1 in the UK and the US, Canada, Portugal, Norway, Ireland and Belgium on release in August and the top 5 in Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland and the Netherlands. The band will return to the UK in December for two shows in London followed by dates in Birmingham, Cardiff, Manchester and Glasgow. The Arcade Fire are Win Butler, RÃ©gine Chassagne, Richard Reed Parry, William Butler, Tim Kingsbury, Sarah Neufeld and Jeremy Gara. ‘Arcade Fire knew they were ready to start a third album when they sat down and jammed an urgent indie-rock thumper appropriately titled Ready To Start.’ Q – October 2010
Filipino Family Wins Montreal Court Case Over Son’s Use Of Utensils. A Filipino migrant family in Canada won a Montreal court case over the son’s use of utensils. Luc Gagadoc, who is a student of the Margeurite Bourgeoys School Board in Pierrefonds-Roxboro, was reprimanded by the lunch hall monitor in 2006 for eating his lunch using a spoon and fork. The monitor described the way Gagadoc used his utensils – which is the traditional way Filipinos eat – as “eating like a pig.” The school principal advised Gagadoc’s mother, Maria Theresa Gallardo, to teach him how to eat like a Canadian, by using a fork and knife instead. The incident led Gallardo to file a complaint with the Quebec Human Rights Commission for racial and ethnic discrimination. Aside from the reprimand, Gagadoc – who was seven years old then – was made to eat alone. Gallardo lost the case in October 2008, but she elevated it to the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal in March 2009. The tribunal ruled in Gallardo’s favor and awarded her $17,000 in damage. Gallardo expressed satisfaction with the decision, although the award is less than the $24,000 damage she asked the tribunal. The incident reached the Philippines and as a result led to a protest rally in front of the Canadian embassy in Manila. This is the second time the school was rapped for human rights violation. About 10 years ago, the school banned a Sikh student from wearing a ceremonial dagger to school. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in favor of the Sikh student.
- President Azerbeidzjan gelast hertelling Songfestival - Volkskrant
- 'Miley Cyrus en Justin Bieber maken samen muziek' - BN DeStem - BN DeStem
- Jared Leto wil niet op zelfde voet verder gaan - NU.nl
- Taylor Swift grote winnaar bij Billboard Awards - Volkskrant
- Prestigieuze muziekprijs voor Usher - NU.nl
- Eerste Pinksterdag in Brabant: rommelmarkt, muziek en veldslagen - Omroep Brabant
- 'Winnend Deens lied lijkt erg veel op nummer K-Otic' - Volkskrant
- Zanger Daft Punk-hit overleden - NU.nl
- . Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl - NU.nl
- Denemarken wint Eurovisie Songfestival 2013 - NU.nl
- Depeche Mode annuleert concert vanwege wegblokkade - Nieuwsblad Transport
- Na dag repeteren geven jonge muzikanten een mooi concert - De Stentor - De Stentor
- Maroon 5 stelt Amsterdams concert uit - AD.nl
- Leerfabriek Oisterwijk maakt zich op voor exclusief Omroep Brabant-concert ... - Omroep Brabant
- Coevorder Accordeonorkest verzorgt prima concert - coevordenhuisaanhuis.nl
- Concert: Moss + Stuart Mavis, Leeuwarden, Asteriks - FOK!
- Frank Ocean voor concert naar Amsterdam | nu.nl/muziek | Het laatste nieuws ... - NU.nl
- 20e concert in de serie Componistenportretten: - Dichtbij.nl
- Concert voor en met Vroege Vogels - De Stentor - De Stentor
- Beyoncé haalt concert België eind van de maand in - NU.nl