business and finance
Instead of Ho! Ho! Ho!, today’s Santas are bellowing Woe! Woe! Woe!
It’s the tough economic environment and the high unemployment rate that has this year’s Santas changing their tune. At the nation’s oldest school for Santa wannabees in Midland, MI, Santas are getting trained in some new lessons.
For nearly 75 years, students at the Charles W. Howard Santa Claus School vying to wear the big red suit, fuzzy white beard, and big jelly belly, little has changed in Santa training. A proper Santa should have clean breath, his beard should be trimmed and styled just so, and his laugh should be deep and hearty.
But this year, Santas must learn how to gently scale back children’s Christmas gift expectations as lists grow long while wallet remain slim. They must also be prepared to answer a frequent request among kids during the current economic slump: “Can you bring my parent a job?”
Santa alumni say that Santas have to be sure to never promise anything. Sometimes they have to be creative and remind children that Santa specializes in toys.
And kids need to know that Christmas isn’t just about toys, gifts and presents. It is about spreading joy and cheer and giving and receiving the best gift of all–love.
There is more than one supermodel in this household.
Tom Brady, quarterback for the New England Patriots, and husband of Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen, is the new face and feet of UGGS.
In an effort to push its mens line, UGGS signed Brady as a spokesperson. The first commercial will air on national television on Sept.12 on Monday Night Football.
Additional ads featuring Brady include print, billboard, and digital
UGGS are a unisex style of sheepskin boots, clogs and slippers. They are extremely popular among teens and women. The suede and furry shoes have been recognized as a fashion trend in the United States since 2000. Many female stars have been photographed wearing them, including Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Hudson and Pam Anderson.
Deckers Outdoor Corporation. which manufactures UGGS in the U.S., wasn’t dragging its feet on Thursday following the announcement. Shares on the NASDAQ were kicked up 1.67 percent to $92.04.
Elizabeth Smart, who was ripped from her family in 2002 by a polygamous street preacher when she was just 14 years old, will be a contributor for ABC News.
An ABC spokeswoman said Thursday the Brigham Young University music student, now age 23, will report for the news organization on stories that involve missing persons and child abduction cases, reports Entertainment Weekly.
“She’ll help our viewers better understand missing person stories from someone with the perspective to know what a family experiences when a loved one goes missing,” ABC spokeswoman Julie Townsend said in an e-mail. “Her contributions will be focused on looking ahead, not looking back at her own story.”
It is reported that Smart will contribute to such programs as “Good Morning America” and “Nightline,” and could begin work as soon as next week.
Townsend added that Smart will appear “when there are missing children or missing-person cases in the news.”
Smart was kidnapped from her parents’ Salt Lake City, UT, home in the middle of the night and was reportedly raped on a near-daily basis over a nine-month period.
A biker, who had watched her story on “America’s Most Wanted,” spotted the teen 18 miles from her home in Sandy with Brian David Mitchell and his wife, Wanda Barzee.
Mitchell has been sentenced to life in prison, while Barzee is currently serving a 15-year prison sentence.
It is yet unknown if whether Smart will relocate to New York City from Utah.
- Eerste Pinksterdag in Brabant: rommelmarkt, muziek en veldslagen - Omroep Brabant
- 'Winnend Deens lied lijkt erg veel op nummer K-Otic' - Volkskrant
- Anouk gaat als eerste haar kinderen zoenen - Parool.nl
- Zanger Daft Punk-hit overleden - NU.nl
- Madese tent bol van muziek - BN DeStem - BN DeStem
- Anouk trekt bijna 6 miljoen kijkers - Volkskrant
- . Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl - NU.nl
- De Forest vindt songfestivalwinst 'overweldigend' - NU.nl
- Denemarken wint Eurovisie Songfestival 2013 - NU.nl
- Anouk zingt nummer vlekkeloos op Songfestival - NU.nl
- Coevorder Accordeonorkest verzorgt prima concert - coevordenhuisaanhuis.nl
- Concert op gerestaureerde orgel - Dichtbij.nl
- Succesvol concert regionale Pluskoor Gelderse Vallei - dé Weekkrant
- Concert voor vroege vogels - Ede Stad
- Zangeres Pearl Jozefzoon te gast op Concert in Harmony - Stellingwerf
- Concert: Moss + Stuart Mavis, Leeuwarden, Asteriks - FOK!
- Afwisselend concert in Pnielkerk in Veenendaal - dé Weekkrant
- Depeche Mode annuleert concert vanwege wegblokkade - NU.nl
- Frank Ocean voor concert naar Amsterdam - NU.nl
- Beyoncé haalt concert België eind van de maand in - NU.nl